RICS Level 3 Home Survey
When considering purchasing a property, whether it be a buy-to-let or development investment, the long-term ‘home of your dreams’ or a business premises, peace-of-mind can be achieved by enlisting the help of a Chartered Building Surveyor.
Southdown Surveyors have a team of RICS Chartered Surveyors based in Eastbourne, East Sussex. We offer a range of property services including the RICS Level 3 Home Survey, formally known as a Building Survey.
Before, during and after your survey we are available to discuss our services and explain our findings; always in down-to-earth, simple language! We leave you feeling assured that you are making an educated and informed purchase of your property.
What is an RICS Level 3 Home Survey?
An RICS Level 3 Home Survey, previously referred to as a ‘Building Survey’, provides a comprehensive evaluation of the structure of the property and its condition. As a more in-depth report, it will provide you with a thorough understanding of the property you are intending to purchase.
What is the Difference between an RICS Level 3 Home Survey and an RICS Level 2 Survey?
The RICS Level 2 Survey (formally known as a Homebuyer Report) provides you with a more economy, standard report. This report will identify what the surveyor believes to be the most important issues affecting the subject property only, with limited further explanation. This service is most suitable for bungalows, houses and flats that are in reasonable condition and of traditional type and construction.
The RICS Level 3 Home Survey by comparison is a fuller, more comprehensive service that provides a more in-depth and detailed assessment of the subject property. It allows for the Surveyor to provide further explanation on any discoveries and/or to comment on any specific concerns or plans you may have. It is typically more suitable for larger, older properties or in cases where the property is run-down, has been significantly altered or has major conversion/renovation plans anticipated for it.
Does the RICS Level 3 Home Survey include a Valuation?
The RICS Level 3 Home Survey does not include a Market Valuation or Reinstatement Cost Assessment (for insurance purposes) as standard, but these can be included if requested, along with other additional services such as feasibility studies, scaled floor plans and maintenance schedules. Depending on the individual merits of the property an additional charge may be applicable for these additional services. By making us aware of your full requirements, we can ensure that you service meets your expectations.
Additional Services for your RICS Level 3 Home Survey
We can add further insight to your RICS Level 3 Survey through enlisting the support of a ‘Drone Survey’ to gather information, photographs and video footage, of upper parts of the building, including the roofs. This allows the Surveyor to provide a more comprehensive assessment of these areas and also gives you significant additional insight. This is subject to additional cost, so please ask us for more information.
We also have consultant Surveyors who are able to further provide Asbestos Surveys including sample testing, both commercial and domestic Energy Performance Certificates, Drainage Surveys and Fire Risk Assessments. Again, please just ask for more details.
A RICS Level 3 Home Survey is invaluable in ensuring you are making an educated purchase with full awareness of any shortcomings or further maintenance considerations in a property. In some cases, where the survey identifies costly-to-repair defects, you may be able to try re-negotiating the purchase-price with the vendor, in consideration of these legitimate needs.
The RICS Level 3 Home Survey is not suitable for all properties. For non-domestic buildings; office, HMO’s, hotels, pubs – we offer our own bespoke commercial Building Survey, which will similarly provide you with the necessary peace of mind in negotiating the lease or purchase of a business premises.
Furthermore, new-build or newly converted properties would be better suited to a Snagging Schedule.
- RICS Level 2 Home Survey (survey only) – formerly known as a Homebuyers Report. This service is most suitable for conventional properties which are in reasonable condition. It includes basic advice on defects that may affect the property, the need for any repairs and general ongoing maintenance advice.
- RICS Level 2 Home Survey (survey & valuation) - Includes all the features of the RICS Level 2 Home Survey with the addition of a Market Valuation and Reinstatement Cost Assessment (for insurance purposes).
- RICS Level 3 Home Survey (survey only) - formally known as a Building Survey. Essential for larger or older properties, those that are in poor condition, have been significantly altered since their first construction or where major works are intended. This more comprehensive report provides you with an in-depth analysis of the property's condition and includes advice on defects, repairs and maintenance options.
- RICS Level 3 Home Survey (survey & valuation) - Includes all the features of the RICS Level 3 Home Survey with the addition of a Market Valuation and Reinstatement Cost Assessment (for insurance purposes).
- Commercial Building Survey - A bespoke report, written in our own format, to support the acquisition of a non-residential, non-domestic building, reporting on condition, wants of repair and ongoing maintenance.
- Snagging Schedule - A majority photographic report for new-build or newly converted properties, that have not normally been lived in, focusing on finishing, snagging and general workmanship. Of course, since these Schedules are undertaken by qualified Surveyors, can you be assured of any more significant structural defects also being identified.
If you are in any doubt on the survey you need, please just give us a call and one of our friendly team will guide you in the right direction. Alternatively, if you know that you need an RICS Level 3 Home Survey please call or use our simple online form.