Party Wall Act Battle

We are Party Wall Surveyors with a wealth of experience dealing with Party Wall Act matters and dispute resolution.

How can we help you today?

Property Search - We have properties available now on Rightmove!

Our expert team can advise on a wide range of building issues. We offer detailed surveys and reports and routinely advise on all issues arising from the Party Wall Act 1996.

Party Wall Act Surveyors working in East Sussex

Southdown Surveyors

Southdown Chartered Surveyors and Building Consultants have been providing clients across Sussex with professional, independent surveying services for over 10 years. The Party Wall Act is an area we specialise in. Our knowledgeable team can provide professional advice on your specific situation. We will implement the necessary legal procedures to ensure that your proposals are undertaken within the rules of the Act.

Matthew Symmonds, our founding Director, has a particular interest in Party Wall matters and is a highly experienced party wall surveyor. He understands and works within the parameters of this significant piece of legislation. Matthew is a member of The Pyramus & Thisbe Club. This is a professional organisation that promotes best practices in the application of the Act.

Party Wall Notice

A party wall is a dividing wall between your property and the adjoining owner's property or excavation near a neighbouring property. The Party Wall Act 1996 regulations must be applied if your proposals involve construction work to a party wall or structure.

This Act came into force in July 1997 and is now enshrined in English law. A party wall agreement is an agreement between you and your neighbours. It is regarding any building work affecting a shared boundary, wall or outbuilding.

Any planning works that might affect the structural strength or support function of a party wall must be notified in writing. The adjoining owner should then provide consent or serve a counter-notice within 14 days.

Many people find the act applies to construction works carried out by yourself or the neighbour on the other side. In which case, the process laid down in the Act needs to be followed and administered correctly. This requires a detailed understanding of what is (and is not!) permissible, and what you must (and must not!) do.

If the processes under the Act are not followed correctly, ongoing on-site work may be stopped. This is likely to result in undesirable delays and extra legal costs being incurred.

We advise obtaining pertinent legal advice and understanding the obligations of the act prior to works commencing. An overview and general guidance are given by the Government can be obtained, with a detailed explanatory booklet available to read. However, it is highly recommended that specific advice be sought from an agreed surveyor.

At times, issues and disputes can arise over the proposed work of any building project. If a satisfactory agreement has not been met, both parties should appoint a surveyor to draw up a Party Wall Award. Part of which will outline the work being carried out and any potential additional work. Southdown Surveyors can help with dispute resolution procedures to swiftly resolve the situation.

Let Southdown Surveyors use their impartiality to liaise with your neighbours (and their surveyors) to ensure all parties meet their obligations. We are here to ensure everyone is treated fairly within all party wall disputes.

We have extensive experience in acting as either the Building Owner’s surveyor, where you intend to undertake the works. Or as the Adjoining Owner’s surveyor, where your neighbour is undertaking works. We can provide you with peace of mind and confidence in the success of your project.

Contact Us

If you wish to discuss your requirements, please call our registered office on 01323 739183. To arrange an appointment please contact us by filling in the form on this page. Or, for more information on the Act, please visit either of the links below:

Guidance on preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls.

A clear, impartial guide to party walls.

Proud members of

RCIS icon
Chamber of commerce icon

Confidence through professional standards